Vintiques: It's a Better Word for What We Sell


The word antique technically refers to something that is 100 years old or older. While our customers understand that antique malls aren't filled with century old wares, using the word for what we collect and sell struck me as inaccurate and misleading.

So, I prefer to combine two words: vintage+antique to get the word vintique.

I define vintique as an object that is 20 years old or more. To me, it's a more accurate term for the merchandise customers will find in our booths.

1 comment:

Salvage Chick said...

I love your term vintique! I often refer to the items in my shop as 'junktiques'. People scratch their heads when I go on a buying appointment and rummage through the cupboards for Grandma's old spice containers while giving a wide berth to her cherry Chippendale furniture. Sell what you like, like what you sell, and merchandise it well! If you're in the right venue, buyers and their enthusiasm will catch on.